#OscarsSoWhite
9/29/2016 07:03:00 AMhttp://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/09/27/oscarssowhite-inspired-new-film-academy-members-to-join/91156424/
This article recalls the trending hashtag on twitter #OscarsSoWhite from the last Academy Awards and the improvement in the making. According to USAToday, there were 683 new members to the community which included people of color like Chadwick Boseman who stars in Black Panther who stated:
“I felt obligated to join. “After a certain number of years when you see something happen and you feel like there are worthy films that should be nominated or presented, yeah, you have to join. You have to be a voice.””
This article caught my eye because it memtioned the popular hashtag on twitter, finding out that they are taking the initiative to add new members. As someone who is a minority, I also noticed the lack of diversity despite the many talented people who are a minority. Who can we expect to be nominated next year? I just really hope that they choose people of color who deserved it rather than just because they are minorities.
0 comments